Tuesday 4 August, 2009

Why is there Lack of Goodness in this World?


I have been engaged in a lot of philosophizing off late, so this piece would be one which will set a precedent and other write ups will follow soon. Coming back to the topic, why is there a lack of goodness in the world?

Everyone says this. That yes, "people have become bad", "this is kalyug", blah blah... But as anyone taken off time to at least sit back and think "why is this so?" rather than just cribbing and complaining about the dearth of happiness.

Fortunately, I have. Its better late than never they say. The process started as I was watching "Bunty aur Babli" about a month back. It was after more than a year that I was watching this film as I had nothing worthwhile to do nor anything good to watch on TV. Being a diehard AB fan and a Rani Mukherjee admirer, I continued with the film just for the sake on enjoying these 2 actors. But as I started watching the film, my objective of watching the film changed. The film, which was thwarted by me months after it released, now actually started meaning a lot to me. Even you might be wondering what that was...

It was the fact that both Bunty and Babli became criminals because of the world. They tried their accomplishing their dreams in a very good and honesty way but only to realize that others had taken undue advantage of their virtues. And this disappointment finally led to both Bunty and Babli taking up a criminal path to take revenge from the world. "If you can be bad, even we can be bad too."

And this is thus not just a story of Bunty and Babli but "aam aadmi" i.e. "Mango people." Who start with honesty and goodness but then as the world ridicules this virtue of theirs, the same people end up as violators of their very own principles. Though they don't want to do that by choice but by compulsion as they think "there isn’t any way to survive this cruel world." And it is thus, very wrong to blame these people only because they have turned bad. What we need to ask ourselves is "at least if we can't be good ourselves, can't we just reciprocate this goodness to the good people and help sustain whatever goodness is remaining in the world.

Recently, I have been through a similar situation where I don't think my goodness was taken seriously. This has ultimately led to a reduction of goodness in me as an immediate reflex and a slapstick reply to that offender of goodness. But then, I have still decided to stick with my general idea of being good. Because, if everyone starts giving up goodness because of "individual violators of goodness" then this world will definitely go to the dogs sooner than expected. It would be a shame that not only these "violators" do not contribute in goodness but also discourage the ones who are contributing. And they don't just reduce the number of good people but increase the number of violators.

What we should do, like discussed in Delhi 6 is to look at ourselves from a 3rd persons perspective. Ask ourselves looking at the mirror, "Will I like it if x did that to me what I did to y" or at least think in a very detached way from oneself and ask the question like I do "Is Devendra doing the Right thing?"

I know it isn't easy to be "Good" and "Ethical" all the time but at the end of the day, the satisfaction which one gets of doing the "Right" thing is always worth it. And also the fact that, these "good" people are the ones who are actually indeed contributing to make the World a "Better Place to Live in"

"If the Bad don't stop being bad, why should the Good stop being Good." - Abhishek Bachchan

3 comments:

Pooja Mahimkar said...

hmm.. good 1. keep blogging!

Amit said...

really thoughtful post. IMO, one big reason behind the lack of 'goodness' in the world is the increasing selfishness of people. The attitude to think only and exclusively about one's own benefit, often to the detriment of others.

workhard said...

Nice post..

Work from home