Sunday 8 February, 2009

Tracing the origins of D FEST

Hello friends,

I was purposely waiting for all the celebrations of this edition of D Fest to get over to finally write a report on the celebrations. Many of you are unaware of the origin of D Fest. The first edition took place in 2006 when I was in my First Year of Degree College (FYBA) and had my birthday coming up. That year I had won about 7 inter-collegiate prizes and hadn't given a treat for a single one. Also, it happened to be the first time ever that my birthday was such an anticipated event amongst my college friends (love you all buddies). So on the onset, with the financial blessings of my father who acknowledged me giving a treat as a wrap-up for the entire academic year's prizes as well as my birthday, I started planning on giving the treat but soon realized that there were too many diverse groups of people I was associated with and hence planned to give the treat to different groups on different days. As calculations went on the events would have gone on till Sunday which happened to the 5th of Feb that year. Being a big fan of Abhishek Bachchan (who has his birthday on the 5th); I didn't lose this opportunity to give a new dimension to the whole event starting from my birthday and concluding on AB's. 

But I think the name of the fest originated when I shared about this concept with my buddies - Mayuresh, Sumit and Sanchit. And then it was in a conversation with Sanchit that the name stuck. I think Mayuresh was the only person actively involved in celebrations of all the earlier editions of D Fest i.e. from 2006-2008. Man did I miss Mayu as i was missing all my buddies. But then was delighted to get so many calls wishing me a "happy birthday" on D day. That was a pretty wonderful surprise you all did for me. The huge amount of celebrations haven't just made my day but the whole year itself.

Coming up next is a report on D FEST 2009 - The Fest Goes International

No comments: